Followers

Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

"S" is for Shreveport

My husband, Jim, and I traveled this great country of ours for SEVEN years in our RV. We saw many wonderful sights, visited famous and not so famous cities, and wandered through many a National Park. I have blogged through all our travels. I've stumbled upon the "Blogging from A to Z Challenge 2013". I decided to jump on board this crazy train and share with all of you places I have seen in my travels.

Day 19 "Blogging from A-Z Challenge"!





is for Shreveport, LA







We only stayed in the Shreveport area for a couple of days. This day was filled with all free activities except for our lunch. We visited Riverview Park, which is located on the banks of the Red River. What a beautiful park!


It has a couple of dancing water fountains,


and this one; both would be fun to run through on a hot, humid day, right? Or to watch children play in the water.


Speaking of water, this beautiful waterfall is also nearby.



These cool metal tulips overlook a 300-foot floating dock.



We saw many murals around the city, but my two favorite are these:

This one is EIGHT STORIES HIGH, and is entitled, "Once in a Millenium Moon"



This one is entitled, "Live Oak Avenue", 


which is a rendition of the actual place, Oak Alley Plantation, Vacherie, LA

photo credit: 

We found the statue of Elvis on Elvis Presley Avenue in front of the Municipal Auditorium, where the King performed on the “Louisiana Hayride” (radio broadcast) for the first time in October 1954.



When we travel, I like to taste the local flavors and food. First we dined on fried green tomatoes, a Southern delicacy. They were good, although I’ve got to admit, I’d put near eat anything that was deep fried! The tomatoes were deep fried, then a little bit of a cream sauce was dribbled over them, with chunks of crab meat on top. Delish!


The main course …. Why crawfish of course! Never had them before, so I ordered the crawfish special which consisted of deep fried crawfish with fries AND crawfish etouffee over rice. Etoufee is a stew with crawfish, vegetables, and seasonings. The crawfish tasted like shrimp to me. Thankfully they were removed from their hard little red bodies before being deep fried. The etoufee wasn’t bad, had a little bit of a bite to it.


The dessert was decadent – caramel cheesecake with Godiva chocolate – to die for! Mmmmm…..



Thanks for stopping by!


7 comments:

Valerie said...

Loved this post, Pat, even though you've made me feel hungry...lol.

Christine said...

I do believe I will go to Shreveport for that dessert alone.

JoJo said...

I'd love to see the deep south - in the winter though since I loathe hot, humid weather. I've been to or through 33 or 34 states, but none in the south except FL/GA.

Adam said...

nice fountains

Unknown said...

You took some great pictures! Thank you for sharing on your blog...loved it

Lynn said...

Beautiful pictures! You are making me want to travel!

Lynda said...

The cool water - - - those beautiful tulips - - - and to end it all with chocolate - - - - MMMMMMMM!