Followers

Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

Today's Reason to Celebrate

Need a reason to celebrate? Today is National Pound Cake Day!

Yippee!

Who doesn't love a moist, buttery pound cake to sink your teeth into?

One of the best recipes I have found is from Paula Deen, from the Food Network.


Mama's Pound Cake

photo courtesy food network
Ingredients
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, plus more for pan
1/2 cup vegetable shortening (CRISCO works great)
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

With a mixer, cream butter and shortening together. Add sugar, a little at a time. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl and add to mixer alternately with milk, starting with the flour and ending with the flour. Mix in vanilla. Pour into a greased and floured tube pan and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

The Midwest is in for another snowstorm tomorrow. I might just have to stay in and bake!

12 comments:

Brian Miller said...

mmm i will def take mine with strawberries!!!!! i enjoy a good pound cake...more than the pounds it leaves...ha...

Unknown said...

I had no idea!

The Bipolar Diva said...

save me some!

SquirrelQueen said...

Yum, I'll take a piece with a few of those strawberries on the side just like the photo.

From what I'm hearing about your weather it would be a perfect time to stay in and bake and catch up on some reading. Stay safe.

Donna B. said...

Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing this!

Bossy Betty said...

Happy Pound Cake Day!!!! Yummy!

Valerie said...

Aw shucks, and we don't eat cake! I can, but it's not fair on a hubby who can't.

Anonymous said...

Pound cake sounds good, but I made a Texas sheet cake. Used almost a pound of butter!

http://pinterest.com/pin/132996995218139120/

Anonymous said...

Pound cake sounds good, but I made a Texas sheet cake. Used almost a pound of butter!

http://pinterest.com/pin/132996995218139120/

Lynda said...

Pound cake is great but let's put a few more strawberries on that plate!!!

Betty Manousos said...

i had no idea too.
thanks for sharing this great recipe.
i almost can't type for the drooling over that pound cake picture!!

big hugs.

B. WHITTINGTON said...

Cake looks delish. No I didn't copy it as I started to. My stomach is still not well and I know I'd eat half of the cake. Thanks for sharing. I'm with the people from the dairy queen. It's FREEZIN.
Stay warm. Barb