Followers

Pages

Monday, February 18, 2013

It's Monday! What are you reading?



This is a new meme I am joining in on today. It is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

I just finished a wonderful book called, "The Art of Hearing Heartbeats"  by Jan-Philipp Sendker



This is the description from Amazon:

A poignant and inspirational love story set in Burma, The Art of Hearing Heartbeats spans the decades between the 1950s and the present.  When a successful New York lawyer suddenly disappears without a trace, neither his wife nor his daughter Julia has any idea where he might be…until they find a love letter he wrote many years ago, to a Burmese woman they have never heard of. Intent on solving the mystery and coming to terms with her father’s past, Julia decides to travel to the village where the woman lived. There she uncovers a tale of unimaginable hardship, resilience, and passion that will reaffirm the reader’s belief in the power of love to move mountains.

My thoughts:

A friend of mine told me that she had to read this book for her book club.  I'm always curious as to what other clubs are reading. She said that she was having a hard time getting a copy of this book (from a library). This indicated to me that the book must be really popular. I had no idea what the book was about, but  ordered it from my library just out of curiosity. I began reading it Saturday night, and could not put the book down. This book is so moving, inspirational, and will stay with me for a long, long time. I highly recommend it.

Here is a short video from the author about his writing and the book itself.

8 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

This is a fun meme -- and I like your goodreads gadget on the sidebar too.

I wrote this book down to look for at one of my two libraries (on-line for my Kindle from Oregon and hardcover here in Ft M.)....

Have you read "Cutting for Stone?" That's what I just finished; it was pretty amazing.

Brian Miller said...

wow this sounds like a really good read....the brief summary is engaging...will def look this one up...

B. WHITTINGTON said...

Love that title and now I have a new book to put on my "to get" list.
I'm intrigued after learning you could not put it down. Good enough for me.
Appreciate you sharing. Happy to see some book reviews here.
Blessings, Barb

Books by Barbara A. Whittington
Vada Faith, women's fiction about a surrogacy gone wrong;
Ezra and Other Stories, a collection of short stories.
All available on Amazon.

Valerie said...

Gotta read that book, Pat. Currently in the middle of Summer Island by Kristin Hannah. It's great. I might do a post on it when I've finished.

The Relentless Reader said...

That sounds like a lovely read :) I hope you have a great week!

Anonymous said...

I really like the look of this one. Will definitely add it to my list.

Have a great week :-)

Unknown said...

This book sounds interesting..thanks for sharing....

Pamela said...

I just ran over to Amazon and ordered the book for my Kindle. I'm vacationing in Florida and will read it on the veranda this afternoon. The best books are ones someone has recommended. Thank you for sharing this one.