Followers

Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

If you plan it, they will come

When my son, Jason, came down to visit us, I decided to have a bocce ball party so that my friends could meet him.

We have a beautiful bocce ball court here in the park. Looks like something straight out of Italy.

Not that I've ever BEEN to Italy, but it's what I imagine it would like look.

Here are the bocce ball courts.


That patio is quite nice, too.

I invited about 40 people; maybe 32-35 showed up. Everybody brought something to share whether it was an appetizer, side dish or dessert. We were providing the hot dogs.

Just look at the gorgeous stone bar that we set the food up on.


Jim was the official wiener cooker. There was a huge gas grill set up behind the bar.

He grilled up 60 hot dogs, and only 2 were left over!

Some people just sat around, relaxed and talked.


Some people played bocce ball.

Here is Shannon giving it a whirl for the first time.


I'm not sure if Don had just released that ball, or if he was watching as it crossed the white line and came towards him.


This is Harold throwing the ball. What's so significant about that? He is blind. Ray was coaching him as to where to throw the ball. Last year Harold BEAT ME in bocce ball. Does that tell you how much I suck at this game?


Serious business. Viv helps Jim measure the distance of the red ball while Pat stands in the background. (Whichever ball is closer to the yellow ball gets the point.)


And some people cheered. This is Sandy cheering someone on. I didn't realize that bocce was a spectator sport!



So this just proves one thing.

If you plan it, (a party), they will come.

(Before) photo:


(After) photo:

24 comments:

Sunny said...

What a fun time! My son is visiting this week but the only balls we have are made of snow! LOL!
Your weather looks so warm and inviting.
☼ Sunny

Historical sites with charmine said...

Wow!What a fun way to party!

SquirrelQueen said...

What a gorgeous setting you had for the party Pat, I can see why they came. That stone bar really is cool.

Glad you got to spend some time with your son.

Valerie said...

Looks a lovely place for a party, Pat. Never heard of bocce ball but it looks as if it's like our bowls, and I don't mean the kitchen variety.

Brian Miller said...

nice. you have a beautiful place set up there...the stone bar is a great touch...i love playing bocce...

A New England Life said...

Looks like a lot of fun! You bunch of rebels! But where is the picture of you and Jason? ; )

Country Gal said...

Looks like a great day !
I have never heard of bocce
from what I see in the photos it looks like what we call lawn bowling. Great photos you have green grass, sunshine, and warmth lucky ducks ! Have a great day !

B. WHITTINGTON said...

I LOVE the pics. Bocce originated in Italy - am I right? What a beautiful place. I envy you spending the winter there. Lucky girl.
You're right. Invite and they show up!
It's time for us to have someone to dinner. Thanks for the idea.
Blessings, B

labbie1 said...

Wow! Looks like you had a great time! What a nice park you are at too! Lovely area for parties there! I bet your son had a great time!

Unknown said...

What a great place to have a party! I envy you all that sunshine and absense of snow! We're still up to our butts in it here!

Bossy Betty said...

Looks like a great place to gather and a fun time for all!

Rae said...

What fun. You live in a beautiful community. It must be nice to have so many friends to share good times with.

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Who could resist with you there to keep everyone laughing. Some really nice facilities that you get to enjoy there Pat!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Pat, it was great to see people enjoying the sun and partying and not shoveling so many inches of white stuff...but then that's WHY you live where you do, isn't it? Great time seems to have been had to all.

Gail said...

A party!!!!

Lynda said...

That's sweet to give your son such a great party and it's pretty sad to be beaten by a blind man! Funny, actually.

Ami said...

If I come visit you, will you plan a party for me?

Ruth said...

Bocce is cool. We inherited my brother's set, but it never plays quite right on our grass that isn't perfectly smooth. I didn't know there were courts! (Duh.) What a nice place you have. And girl, you know how to party!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

It sure looks like ya planned it well and everyone had a grand time!!! We played Bocce ball with our youth at the last annual Church Picnic. Woohoo!!! My motto is if I surround myself with young I'll never grow old.

Pleas don't tell me different, I think I'm Peter Pan!!!

Shanae Branham said...

How fun! I have never even heard of bocce ball. I love that you are traveling around the country and sharing. By the way, I have a contest giveaway on my blog you might find fun. Take a look. triumphandtears.blogspot.com

Prettypics123 said...

Great party! Now I want a grilled hotdog! With slaw! (N.C. style)

James said...

Looks like a fun time and what a beautiful day!

Betty Manousos said...

Looks like a wonderful place for a party.
What a fun time!

B xx

Donna B. said...

That's because everyone knows what a fun party thrower you are!!!