Followers

Pages

Monday, December 14, 2009

I am the Frito Paw Smelling Bandit

Okay. I need all of my readers who own a dog or know somebody who owns a dog to help me out. Listen up. I need you to sniff your dog's feet. His/her pads to be exact. Am I crazy? Well, yes, that's a given, but that has nothing to do with this request. You see, dog's feet smell exactly like Fritos Corn Chips.



You may think I am kidding, but I am not. My twin sister, whom you met in Meet My F***ing Twin Sister first gave me a heads up on this phenomenon. So when I was at my daughter's house, I smelled her two dog's, Venus and Atlas. Yep. Fritos Corn Chips.




So, last Friday night, a group of us are gathered together for a nightcap after going out to dinner. I decided to share this little tidbit with everyone. Well, after everyone finished laughing their butts off, my friend, Rachel, lifted up her little dachshund, Petey, and all of us women sniffed his paws. Some agreed that they smelled like Fritos. Others agreed that they definitely had a smell, but they didn't know what Fritos smelled like.

We were going to get together on Sunday for another Happy Hour. Yeah. I know. It seems that all we do around here is drink. It's true I guess. Well, Carl was going to serve authentic Mexican tamales that were made in corn husks. It was a perfect opportunity for me to bring a chili dip and Fritos corn chips so we could have a sniff off. I wanted to blind fold every one, have them sniff a dog's paw, then a Frito, and decide which one was which. I really thought they'd all be game for this.

Here is the group of the usual suspects.









They must not have drank enough, because they did not want to cooperate and sniff the dog's paws. The owner's didn't have any problems, of course. And look at how cute the puppies were for Pete's sake! How could you not want to sniff these cuties?

This is Pedro. He's a rat terrier. His Mommy is Sandy.



This little one is named Pinky. She is a Chihuahua/Miniature Pincher. She was adopted from a shelter by her Mommy Carol.



Surprisingly, Pedro and Pinky did NOT smell like Fritos. I have no idea why not. Their paws smelled like, well, feet. Imagine that. Here's a photo of brave little ole me sniffing Pinky's paws.



SOOOO, I'm not confessing to a new fetish here, folks. Just trying to take a survey. Smell your dog's paws. Tell me - yeah or nay - Fritos?

So far, my sister's dog, my daughter's two dogs, and Petey are yeses - that makes 4, and Pedro and Pinky are no. So it's 4-2 for Fritos. Let's hear from you!

24 comments:

Rae said...

You aren't crazy. It is true. Frito smell happens. Drives me insane with my Lab. It's because they have scent glands in their paws. It is worst when their paws get wet. Go dip Pedro and Pinky in water and ole´ - bet you will smell it then!

Lee said...

OMFG! THANK YOU! First of all, I love the smell of the bottom of my dog's feet....and now I know why!! That is EXACTLY what they smell like!! I stick my nose in em and just love to smell them!!

AiringMyLaundry said...

I don't have a dog so I can't smell dog feet.

I do have a son whose feet have an odd smell from time to time though.

Carol said...

Some dogs seem to have it worse/stronger than others. Out of 6 yorkies, only one had strong Frito paws. Seems to me, my vet said it was something missing in his diet?? But, that was many moons ago and well, I have that ole age leaky memory thingy going on! Great post!!

Mike said...

I thought that you were out of your mind, until I saw Lees' comment up there! Now I need to go get some salsa and eat some dog paws! haha!

Meeko Fabulous said...

I'm curious . . . When I get home later I'll check and report my findings . . .

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Well Pat....I don't have a dog anymore.....and......you probably have too much time on your hands (or should I say paws?). :) :)

Brian Miller said...

so it was really just a night cap you had before trying this? smiles.

Lindy said...

I have said this for YEARS, and my hubby will attest to it. Fritos smell like salty dog feet! Smell or not, we LOVE Fritos, but they sure do stink up the car on a road trip!

DeniseinVA said...

I have friends with dogs, after I stop laughing about this I will give them a call. Great post!

Betty Manousos said...

Thanks for the good laugh Pat.
hugs hugs

James said...

lol. I tried that once. I thought I was lucky to find a dog that stepped in bean dip but when I sniffed his paw I found out that it wasn't bean dip. -rim shot-

Sorry, I know that joke was a stinker. :)

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I know! I noticed that Oscar and Wall-E's paws have a stronger smell than Emmy. Her paws are hairier, though. I just sniffed all three dogs, since they are all right here on the loveseat with me while I am cruising through blogland with my morning coffee. We are huddled here trying to keep warm until the wood stove does it's job.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I know! I noticed that Oscar and Wall-E's paws have a stronger smell than Emmy. Her paws are hairier, though. I just sniffed all three dogs, since they are all right here on the loveseat with me while I am cruising through blogland with my morning coffee. We are huddled here trying to keep warm until the wood stove does it's job.

Sunny said...

I bet you are having a good laugh now that you have us all smelling our dog's feet! Well of course I had to do it too...no Frito's for Lucy...just stinky dog feet!
Sunny :)

Noelle Johnson said...

Oh, that is way too funny! I just read your post and called my Chihuahua and you are totally right! Well, I am going to go outside now and show my husband ;0)

Teresa said...

LOL - I try very hard to not smell ANYTHING on my dog. But, I had Ron take a whiff. He'll sniff just about anything. He concurs - Maisey's paw does smell like Fritos. hahahaha!

Nancy said...

I have one of those noses that are adverse to anything yucky but I'll pass this on to my husband... :-)

SquirrelQueen said...

Fortunately in this case I don't have a dog, just the cat. No, I'm not going to smell her paws....well maybe later.

Could it be that some of the dogs are actually Frito Banditos? Maybe they meet late at night and open a big bag of Fritos, just a theory.

Chatty Crone said...

By jove, I think it's true. I don't have a dog now, but when I did - it was a nice warm frito smell.
Sandie

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Jack's paws smell like ass. You owe me one.

Unknown said...

LOL, this is hilarious. And the last photo - that's a good capture!

Snowflake said...

I can't smell Fritos on Abbey's paws, but then again, I can't smell anything....it's too cold!! Wishing I was back in Arizona smelling Pinky and Pedro's feet!!!

KaLynn ("MiMi") said...

Nope no fritos here! Bassett smell and dirty terrier smell! Definitely NOT fritos!!