Followers

Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Tis the season to be sick?

You may have noticed (or maybe not) that I've been a little absent this week. Hardly any comments, or none at all. I have been "under the weather" for the last four days. Did you ever wonder about such phrases? What do they actually mean and where do they come from? I was particularly curious about "under the weather" and this is what I found:


  1. To be under the weather is to be unwell. This comes from a Maritime source. In the old days when a sailor was unwell, he was sent down below to help his recovery - under the deck and away from the weather.
  2. "Under the weather. To feel ill. Originally it meant to feel seasick or adversely affected by bad weather. The term is correctly 'under the weather bow' which is a gloomy prospect; the weather bow is the side upon which all the rotten weather is blowing." From "Salty Dog Talk: The Nautical Origins of Everyday Expressions" by Bill Beavis and Richard G. McCloskey

This is what I learned.
  1. Under the weather is the perfect description of what I was feeling: sick to my stomach, dizzy, and a headache. The first two could be the same symptoms of seasickness (although I wasn't anywhere near a boat OR the sea), and the headache was due to weather - the impending rain that was coming. It was a sinus headache. 
  2. I would NEVER make a good sailor.
  3. Besides - I'm afraid of water.
  4. And I can't swim.
I didn't accomplish too much these past four days. I DID put up all my Christmas decorations. It DID take me FOUR days. My sister, Pam, came over on Wednesday, before I was sick, and we went out and bought a Christmas tree. Jim put the tree in the stand and we let the branches open up more before decorating it. In the meantime, Pam decorated my hutch with the stable on top, and all my snow babies on the shelf. It looks very nice.




She came back the next day and stayed for about an hour. Then I chased her home because I needed to go to bed. After I rested I  got up and put a string of lights on the tree. Then rested. Repeat. 

This wasn't what I had imagined it would be like, since I was so looking forward to decorating this Christmas. I love Christmas and all the decorations. Mine have been packed away since eight Christmas's ago, before we hit the road. I was very happy to see my old ornaments, instead of VERY happy, ya know? I'd open a box, unwrap each  ornament, set aside to hang later. It got to the point when I said, "Oh no, not another box of ornaments!" How Scrooge of me!

It was fun to see all the ornaments that we bought from wherever we traveled: Paris, Ireland, Germany, South Carolina, Memphis, Natchez Trace, Toronto, Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, Santa Fe, Sedona, Door County (WI), just to name a few. What was REALLY interesting? Every one of the ornaments was made IN CHINA! Except one. The one from CANADA - Toronto. Which was made in CANADA. Does that reflect what's happening to our economy or what?

The good news is, the tree is lit, the ornaments are hung, the house is decorated. I'm starting to feel better. 



Now to tackle wrapping presents.

I feel another headache coming on!

14 comments:

Monkey said...

I hope you feel better dear friend...and what fun to have all your decorations after all this time ENJOY :)

Snowflake said...

What beautiful decorations and tree you have!!! I love decorating for Christmas, one of the reasons I don't mind going home in December!!! Hope you are feeling better soon....maybe a bit of eggnog or a hot toddy to sip on while you are wrapping gifts!!!

genie said...

Hope you are on the mend. I know what feeling under the weather is ...I feel that way frequently. Love you decorations. I sent out to the outbuilding to get my little tree, but the rats had visited it thru the summer and it smelled like rat pee....grim. Left it outside all day and sprayed it well. Buddy is going to wash it down tomorrow. Guess I will have to wait to put it up. genie

Brian Miller said...

ugh sorry you have been sick...my youngest has as well...since thursday...today was the first day back...i like your decor and hope you continue to mend...

Unknown said...

I was sorry to hear you've been sick....I agree, it is the season!! You have beautiful pictures.....you must have had a great time touring all those places.....hope you "mend"..for some reason things like that "hang around"

Ami said...

Feel better!! Things look festive and lovely at your house... make sure you take care of YOU.

Adam said...

nice christmas tree

Valerie said...

Hope you're feeling heaps better now, Pat. The consolation is that you should enjoy Christmas more having got the sickness out of the way. Love your 'hutch'... it is soooo festive. I haven't even thought about decorations yet.

Anonymous said...

Pause, get healthy and then wrap! Your decorations are pretty.

Unknown said...

I need to put up my tree....I just haven't felt like it for the past two years. I don't know why...

Carletta said...

So sorry you haven't been feeling well.
Your tree and decorations look very festive though. the lighted snowbabies display is very lovely. I love opening all the ornaments and remembering when the kids were little. This year my tree is red,gold, and silver bulbs - much easier. :)

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Hope you continue to feel better. I am still battling headaches. Know what you mean about pushing to do one little thing, then rest to get the next step done. But, did you work through the nights?? It looks so very festive. Love the tree.

Al Penwasser said...

Sorry to hear you're feeling under the weather (thanks for letting us know its origins-didn't know that).
Due to the crazy kitchen/bathroom renovation, this is the year without a Christmas at the Penwasser house. No place to put the decorations and, besides, I don't feel much like taking the time to do so while covered in shards of ceramic tile.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Hope you're better by now -- I've been away from blogland for a couple of weeks, getting ready to fly across the country, and digging out once we got here. It was easier when we took everything we owned with us in the RV wherever we went.