Followers

Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Thursday's Things in a Row

This week's photos for "Things in a Row" are from my recent visit to the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art (SMOCA). The local library here in Mesa sponsors "cultural passes" to various museums in the area. When available, you get two free passes, and they are good for one week. We took advantage of these passes and went to SMOCA. Ironically, it was on a Thursday, when the museum was free! Unfortunately, two of the galleries were closed during our visit, but we enjoyed ourselves nonetheless. I will be talking about our visit in another post. Photos were not allowed in the gallery; just in the "break room", the gift shop, and only in one section outside.

The shadows of the beams overhead caught my eye as they made stripes in a row down the wall.


The "break room" was very different - not like a break room you'd think about with tables/chairs and vending machines. This break room is to give your brain and eyes a break. You walk into the room which is lit by soft red lights. These wooden palates are hanging from the ceiling.



The chairs and tables are also painted red. All the while there is light music playing in the background. (I think it was ocean sounds.)


I know this isn't a picture of something in a row, but I wanted to show you the "movie" that was running in the break room - sea horses moving across the screen! The arrow is pointing to a bar. The room is used for parties, too.


I had fun in the gift shop. Here are some funny nesting dolls.

The dolls read (tallest to smallest): I have issues, Jenius, Normal people scare me, This is not the life I ordered, Chick Magnet, I'm bad
Different kind of dolls in a row. These are called "best friends". They must have some kind of significance at $15.00 a pop, but I don't know what it is...do you?


I just love this exhibit that was in the gift shop. Isn't this a cool way to display things?



Did you find anything interesting this week?

16 comments:

Jim said...

That's ironic, Pat. The day you use the coupons is Thursday, the free day. Oh well, you did get in free. I like museums.

Our Houston museums are free on Thursdays also. We have a bunch, I read 'dozens' but no actual count..
..

Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tina´s PicStory said...

this little chairs are cute :)

SUGAR MOON said...

Love those nesting dolls. The one that says normal people scare me needs to be on a tee shirt. LOL Love the post. And you are great at finding things in a row. That was a good shot.

SquirrelQueen said...

I love the display wall of chairs and stools, that is just too cool. The red 'break room' is fascinating. It would be a good place for a brain break.

Valerie said...

Loved that last picture, the display was very creative. I liked the shadows on the wall ... at first I thought the stripes were painted on.

Gail said...

Your life is just so exciting!

These are beautiful. My tied for favorites are the pallets and the chairs.

Sharon Wagner said...

Hmmm. Which chair to choose to sit. Maybe the one at the top. Musical chairs would be out of the question!

DesertHen said...

What a fun trip! Love the break room with all of the pallet furniture and those chairs on the wall...wow! Great rows!

Kathryn Dyche said...

Looks like it was a neat place to visit. I haven't been to a modern art place in a while, I could definitely do with a fix sometime soon.

Brian Miller said...

what a cool store...love all the pallets hanging and the furniture...cool on the eye soothing lights too...i like it when people are creative like that...

Unknown said...

Great photos! Love the dolls!

Lesley said...

I really like that shadow shot.
Those dolls are Momiji Dolls - a contemporary version of a traditional Japanese doll. I believe they are also called "friendship dolls". Each one has a special message (love, peace, happiness, that sort of thing)

labbie1 said...

Great header and red roses in the background of the blog! Pretty!

Those chairs as shelves in the gift shop are sure a creative way to display!

I like the pallet furniture and ceiling in the break room. Fun!

The one I like best is the wall outside though. Very nice!

Rae said...

What a neat place to visit. Those displays are something. Someone was very creative with those designs.

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

You certainly found lots of interesting sights!