Followers

Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

"OBP" - Observations by Pat, and some Ramblings, too

First off, I just want to say, that if I haven't commented lately on your blogs, it's not that I don't love you guys. Really. It's that the Wi-Fi in this park sucks. Sometimes it takes me maybe AN HOUR to comment on 5 blogs. I follow at least 50 blogs, so you do the math. (I HATE MATH.) That's all I know is, I spend countless of hours staring at my computer, praying to the Wi-Fi god for a connection. I keep a newspaper or book near me to read while the computer takes it's time loading. THAT'S how slow it can be sometimes. So feel my love, people. I may be reading your blogs, but not commenting,  m'kay?

******************************************************************************

I think I should go on a "texting" diet.

Yesterday Jim and I ate at P.F. Chang's Restaurant. While we were waiting for our food, I sat back and people-watched. We were sitting amongst a cluster of tables and there were people all around us. Even though it was loud, and I think there was music playing in the background, the sound was muffled. I felt like a fly on the wall. Of course, the sound could have been muffled because my ear was blocked, but nonetheless, I felt like I was in my own little world, observing everyone around me.

At the table kitty-corner from us sat a family of four. I was trying to figure out the family dynamics. There were two small boys, maybe ages 4 and 6. There was a young woman, late teens or at most, VERY early 20's, and a man who had his back to us. The woman was CONSTANTLY texting. She texted before her meal came. She texted WHEN the meal came.

She took a bite. Then texted some more.

She took another bite. I saw her phone light up indicating a text message was coming in. (Yes, we were pretty close to them.)

She'd put her fork down, pick up the phone, and text again.

Was something THAT important that it couldn't wait till after dinner?

No WONDER she was pencil thin. She hardly ate anything with all the texting she was doing.

I was waiting for the man to say to her, "Put down your phone and eat!"

I thought maybe it was a father out with his three kids. Then the man turned to the side and I saw that he was YOUNG! And he leaned over and kissed the girl! So! I can't imagine that she was the mother of these kids; maybe they were dating and the two young boys were one of their kid brothers. I don't know.

But back to the texting diet. If I tried it, the only thing that would get skinny on me would be my thumbs.

*****************************************************************************

I went to see a new doctor yesterday. He came into the room and said, "Hello, Dr. __________, " mentioning my last name.

I looked at him like he must be nuts and that he REALLY wanted to say, "Hello, Mrs. _____, I'm Dr. Smith. But AGAIN he says, "Hello, Dr. ______!"

I said, "Uh, no. You must be mistaking me for someone else."

"You're not a doctor?" He asked me.

"No."

"Well, it says right here," flipping through my chart, "that you are an Ob-Gyn doctor!"

How the heck did that happen? WHO do they think I am?

"Nope. Not me."

"Oh."

Now I'm wondering, would he treat me any differently if I WERE a doctor?

**************************************************************************

18 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

ha ha ha, did the Dr come in sooner than usual? I wonder if they come quicker for a Dr than a normal patient. May not be a bad idea to leave the Dr in your chart then...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for starting my day off with a chuckle..so glad you stopped by my place so I could visit yours. And I share your Wi-Fi frustration..I must have offended those gods mightily!

Would love to be on the road as you are. My husband and I did a week-long road trip in Utah last October, and I just wanted to keep driving.

I'll come back and visit soon...

Teresa said...

how funny! the texting is amazing. i think kids are going to ruin their tendons (overuse syndrome) from texting.

Unknown said...

It's so common to see people texting or even talking on their cell phones in restaurants; I would be insulted if my dinner partner couldn't be bothered to pay attention to me instead of their phone!

Lynda said...

I went out to eat with a "friend" about a year ago and she got a call from another mutual friend and talked to her during our meal - - - about something inconsequential.
I have never gotten mistaken for anything brilliant - - - other than a grandmother - - and that was 20 years ago!!!

Silver said...

I know what you're saying! It is so annoying, isn't it..this constant texting? My older son does it constantly working out his thumbs on his blackberry.. what is it with these young people these days? lol

Nancy said...

I've been bad about commenting myself lately. As for the texting - it's driving me crazy! Both of my girls are constantly looking at their phones. Over the Christmas holiday I finally said - "Put it down"!! You would have thought we had lost ten years, and were sitting at the dinner table and they were trying to listen to their I-Pods. I thought we had been through ALL THAT! No singing, no elbows, no I-Pods, no chewing with one's mouth open, napkin on the lap...

Gail said...

Congratulations on your degree!!! Somehow I just don't see you being an obgyn!

I have never resorted to texting, in fact, I never turn my cell phone on unless I need to use it. Don't want any incoming...have enough through the day.

Missy said...

I am feeling your love! LOL
My sons need a texting diet so bad!

Maude Lynn said...

Texting drives me nuts!

Valerie said...

Dear Dr Pat. Deeo sympathy over the Wi-Fi problem. If anything needs to go wrong it should be something other than your access to blogland. I don't text anymore although I will be doing so when hubs goes on his annual visit to Oz, on account of it being a cheaper way to communicate. Have a great weekend.

Joann Mannix said...

We have a rule in our house, no phones at dinner, especially when we're eating out. And I will admit I try occasionally to sneak out an email, but I always get busted.

And i hate texting. Hate it with a passion.

Lindy said...

Sadly, yes, he WOULD treat you differently if you were a doctor. I think I'd find a new doctor since it appears their record keeping isn't too accurate.

Texting - argh! Such a rude and obnoxious addiction that some have with it. We have a relative in her mid-40s who has the same bad behavior of texting during a meal.

Country Gal said...

With the last name Smith I would of asked him the same question lol My maiden name was Smith and there was always jokes about it ! Sad to say yeah he would of treated you differently.The texting thing now adays is wayyy out of hand lol if it was there wouldnt be a problem, out of hand lol get it hahaha ! Have a great day !

Unknown said...

More than an addiction to texting! - That would drive me bonkers to face anyone like the woman.

becky said...

Hello Pat!
Sorry I haven't been by for awhile... all this moving & working is taking up my time! I hate the texting thing. Or the talking on the phone thing in the grocery store, or at the movies, etc. I mean c'mon people.... do we really have to stay THAT connected ALL the time? In a half an hour span, I almost got run over in the grocery store by 2 different guys, pacing up & down the isles, chatting away like they were in their own living room. HELLO, step outside please! Plus I think it lead to severe attn deficit. Like no one can focus on one thing anymore, or being present while you're with someone. Those poor kids. Anyhow, I hope you had a very merry christmas & a happy new year!!!
:)

SquirrelQueen said...

With all that texting it's pretty amazing that the couple even had kids. You don't suppose she texted while they were ......

Missy said...

She was beyond rude, she was MEAN!