Followers

Pages

Monday, November 11, 2013

Veteran's Day and Birthday - all rolled up into one!

Today is Veteran's Day.

It is also my husband, Jim's birthday.

He is a veteran.

So - two celebrations in one!


Here he is blowing out his candles. Okay. I lied. Here he is PRETENDING to blow out his candles.

See, here's the story. I put the candles in the cake, my sister lit them for me. She called Jim over, I stepped away to get my camera. He walked over, leaned over, blew the candles out and started to walk away! My family all yelled, "Wait! Wait! We didn't even sing Happy Birthday!"

So my sister re-lit the candles. We sang Happy Birthday. I had my camera all ready. Then my brother yelled, "Hey, the Bears scored again!" (He was standing between the kitchen and the family room with his eye on the Bear's game.)

I turned my head for just a second, and you guessed it, Jim blew the candles out A SECOND TIME, and I wasn't ready!

He didn't look like he wanted to blow them out the third time, but he was patient enough to pretend that he did.

So there you have it.

Jim is not one for making a fuss on birthdays.

I oughta know. He never does on mine! He thinks we should go to the store and view birthday cards - and that would be the same as buying one! Why waste money on a card?

But I love this big guy with all my heart!

Happy Veterans Day to all who have served and are currently serving. We have YOU to thank for our freedom!

16 comments:

Dianne said...

what a good sport! most men won't sit still for one photo op

happy birthday Jim and thank you for your service

JoJo said...

Happy birthday to your hubby!!! It's funny but mine has a kind of phobia about the blown candles, in that he doesn't want to eat cake where someone has potentially blown bits of saliva and germs all over the cake. lol

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Happy double celebration to your handsome and patient husband (and our thanks for his service).

Brian Miller said...

thank you to your husband for his service...and happy birthday to him as well...smiles.

DesertHen said...

Happy Birthday to Jim! And please tell him Thank You for his service to our country!

My hubby won't even let me put candles on his cake anymore...lol!

Al Penwasser said...

That is one squared away ballcap! Salute, shipmate!

Lois Evensen said...

Happy Birthday, Jim, and thank you for your service.

Liz A. said...

Next year set up a video camera to record the whole thing and then you won't miss it. (And you'll have that whole thing to view again besides.)

Adam said...

Happy birthday to him, and happy veterans day

Danica Bridges-Martin said...

Ha-ha, sounds like something that would happen around our house! My husband hates having to restaged pics! :) Danica

Valerie said...

Loved this story, Pat. I reckon Jim is one patient man... grins. Birthday greetings on this great day.

We had our Remembrance Sunday and Poppy Day over the weekend. I felt choked up several times.

BTW I love the new scenic header pic.

Christine said...

Ha! That husband of yours is one funny guy. I'm almost convinced he was blowing those candles out just to mess with you. :)
Happy Birthday and big thanks to him!

genie said...

This is one of those special little posts that almost brings tears to my eyes. I loved it and thanks so much for sharing.

SquirrelQueen said...

Happy Birthday Jim!

Jim is a good sport, my hubby would do good to sit still for one round of candles. But we still love our guys no matter what, after all sports are important.....to them. LOL!

Anonymous said...

jim and I would get along just fine. No b'day fuss around here either.

Anonymous said...

jim and I would get along just fine. No b'day fuss around here either.