Followers

Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Loving Lily

Last weekend Jim and I went down to see our daughter, Jess, son-in-law Dave, and granddaughter, Lily. There were Christmas festivities in town.   Santa was in town, so we had to see him. I couldn't believe there wasn't a line to see him, but it was almost time for him to go. He was appearing in the real estate building. We had to coax Lily to go see Santa. She would only go if her Mommy went with her. Then she told her Mommy to sit on Santa's lap. While I'm sure that would have made Santa's day, my daughter was like, "Uh, no thanks!"



Lily loved this sled and didn't want to get out for the next group of people to sit in it.


With Mommy and Daddy



Their church had a Christkindlmarket where Lily made a gingerbread house.





I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I hate when I get full before my plate is empty! Happens every Thanksgiving! Wait! There's turkey left! And potatoes! Stuffing! You can do it! No, no I can't. Obviously I need to put smaller portions on my plate. What a concept. But then, within an hour, it's time for dessert. Of course there's room for dessert! I didn't go overboard on the desserts. Sure there were pumpkin, banana cream, chocolate, and apple pies to choose from, and chocolate chip, crescent and our famous Italian "SOS" cookies. But I hardly had room for much dessert. That didn't stop me from taking some home, though! *wink*

It was fun to see the little cousins get together, from age 12 down to 2. There were 9 total, 8 of which were my sister's grandchildren.  My granddaughter, Lily, who will be 4 in January, was the other one. Of the cousins there, three of them -  Taliah is almost 3, Brooklyn is 4 1/2, and Gracie is 3 1/2 - are all bigger than Lily.When you see Lily by herself, she doesn't seem small. But comparatively - she is just a little sprite who doesn't stop talking.

Jess, Dave and Lily spent the night at our house. Lily was very excited to spend the night at Grandma and Papa's house. At one point I brought Jess into my bedroom to show her some of the Christmas presents I bought. Lily told the guys that "Mama and Grandma needed alone time." Then when we let her come into the bedroom she played on my bed. I asked her what she wanted to do. I suggested different toys. She said, "I want to play with a Dora puzzle." I just so happened to pick one of those up for a Christmas present. I looked at my daughter who shook her head "no". I just shrugged and said, "What the heck! It's a special night!" I rummaged under the bed and grabbed the puzzle. Standing up, I held the puzzle behind my back and then said, "It's magic! Here it is!"

What fun!

The three of us sat on the floor and put the puzzle together. Believe me - it TOOK all three of us, even though it said ages 4-6 on the box! It's one of those lenticular puzzles. Yeah. Like you know what THAT means. Even spell check questioned it! (Of course, JIM knew! damn it!)

According to dictionary.com there are three definitions:

  1. Of or pertaining to a lens;
  2. Biconvex; convexo-convex (huh?)
  3. Resembling the seed of a lentil in form - lentil-shaped.
In laymen's terms, the picture moves when you move. Capice? Here. I took a picture:




Then I moved a little to the left and the picture changed. I took another photo.


Believe me, it's not easy to put the puzzle together when Dora has 4 feet! When we finished the puzzle, I told Lily to move a little to see the puzzle change pictures. So she wiggled her butt.

Lily told us that it was "girls only" in the bedroom. She said, "I know that Papa is a good man, but he can't come in here!"

On Friday Lily made a gingerbread house with Papa. We decided to do this again because her dogs got a hold of the last one and ate it. Although the dogs aren't wholly to blame. We think the cats were in cahoots and jumped up on the counter, knocking the house down onto the floor for the dogs to eat.

Papa is instructing Lily how to make the perfect house.


Of course, after each piece of candy was attached,


there was a lot of this:


You may have noticed that she changed clothes in between the last few photos. That's because they started making the houses in the morning. Then the house collapsed because they didn't wait long enough for the frosting to harden. That's when Lily said, "I think this is a bad idea." After waiting about an hour, they continued.

All in all, it was a wonderful couple of days with my family, especially our funny, wonderful, loving granddaughter!

14 comments:

Brian Miller said...

oh what fun...ha on her not wanting to get out of the sleigh...and the gingerbread houses...i love putting those together....she seems a lot of fun...smiles.

Snowflake said...

Sounds like a wonderful time with family!!! I love the gingerbread houses, so cute!!! Its so great that you are able to enjoy Lily and share in the excitement of the holidays with her!!!

Ami said...

She is just such a lovely little person, what a crackup! It's wonderful that you get to spend so much time with her, enjoying her.

And from where I am sitting, remembering family passed on, grandparent memories are the absolute best!

I was going to try to make graham cracker ginger bread houses with 'my' kids, but a friend sent me a pasta rolling machine for clay, so we're going to make them from sculpey instead. It will be time consuming and a terrible pain in the ass. And they'll love it.

THANK YOU for sharing Lily with us.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a sweetie she is...and how lovely that you get to spend the Holidays with her (and her parents of course) this year.

momto8 said...

what fun photos!! Lily know she is one lucky girl.

Country Gal said...

Beautiful photos . Lily is a sweety . My middle name is Lillian and get called Lily sometimes. Looks and sounds like you all had a great time ! Have a good day !

Valerie said...

Lily is who the Christmas festivities were designed for. I love to see the little ones enjoying themselves. I'm glad you all had a good day.

Anonymous said...

Cute girl;) Kids always make holidays more special, don't they?

Unknown said...

What a cutie that Lily is! Kids just make the holidays so much fun!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Yum, that gingerbread house looks really good!

Wendy said...

That was so sweet, Pat!
And i can't believe how BIG Lily's getting! Already Four?!? Impossible!

(and i'm a bit jealous... but i can wait.) =-)

SUGAR MOON said...

I loved this post. Your little Lili is a sweetheart.

Carletta said...

I know for sure right now that your house is too quiet. :)
I had all three grandkids at one time - a very thankful and blessed Thanksgiving.
I think I'll steal this gingerbread house idea - graham crackers it appears. :) The pans are a good idea as well.

Lynda said...

Oh, Pat - - - she is so beautiful and adorable - - and so funny wanting to have a girls' only time when she is so young! She obviously intuitively knows how important feminine bonding is to making our lives complete! I hope you all frame that picture of her in the sleigh. It is phenomenal.