Followers

Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Thursday's Things in a Row



The photos for this week's Things in a Row are a continuation of the flea market finds in Mesa, AZ.

I call these wind chimes, but I know that's not correct, for they do not make any noise. These spin around in the breeze. Maybe "wind spinners"? They are mesmerizing to watch as they spin around and the design looks as if it's moving from the edge to the center in a constant motion.


I love these baskets that come in all sizes. They used to be advertised as made by "Native Americans". Then I saw some from Mexico. Now I've seen signs on the back that read "Made in China" and that just pissed me off to no end. These baskets are sold at several booths, so I can't say that ALL of them come from China. I think it should be the case of "buyer beware" because people may think they are getting an authentic native or Mexican product.Always check the fine print!

These are masks for kids. Boy, they sure have come a long way from the plastic ones I wore as a kid. I'd just have to pull it down over my face and it had that elastic string across the back that always broke, remember? The cutouts for the eyes were razor-sharp, as was the mouth. I remember sticking my tongue through that and regretting it! These masks look like Super Heroes or something. I don't recall seeing the rest of the costumes around - just the masks.


I'm really not sure what the heck is going on with the next photo. It's an odd looking cow with all different signs painted on it. The sign painted on its udder says, "Got Paint?" and each teat is painted a different color. Oookay. What caught my eye were the tea cups and tea pots balanced along the back of the cow. Also, pierced earring tea cups! This statue was about 6"Lx4"Hx2"W. The more I look at it, the more I'm wondering why I didn't buy it! It's eclectic enough to match me! Ha ha! Now I know why. I just enlarged the photo to see the price - $80 on sale! (Look at the dressed up dachshunds  all in a row to the left of the cow!)


If you thought the above photo was odd, I've got one even ODDER. Take a look at these hand-made canes. I guess one could think, "Hey, it sucks that I've got to use a cane, why not spice it up a bit with one of these?" I don't know.....you be the judge!

l-r: Gun (rifle?), cane with level, saw, woman's leg
How sturdy do you think these can be? The "saw" and the "leg" look pretty thin to me.

Anyway, that's my eclectic collection this week. What have you got for me?


14 comments:

SquirrelQueen said...

I always wonder when I see displays of baskets like that. Unless the Native Americans are residing in Beijing I don't think they are authentic. I love those wind spinners.

Valerie said...

I wouldn't mind that 'leg' walking stick... it would be a bit of a laugh walking out with that. We have those twirly things here but they're mostly made of shiny stainless steel. I think the idea is to scare the birds.

MadSnapper said...

now that i have seen this i need to go find something at the flea market, these are great, i like the dishes and the last one with the wooden hanging thingys.

Lesley said...

I have one of those wind spinner things - I guess it is time to bring it back outside for summer. You are right, it is mesmerizing!

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

These are great photos from this interesting flea market, Pat. I love wandering around places like that even if I don;t buy anything...

Thank for hosting!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Oh girl, those canes are a hoot but I'm with you...I wouldn't trust 'em with my Mom or MIL! Heeehehehe!!!

I always adore your things in a row. I too love to sit and watch those wind spinners~chimes twirl in the wind!

Great shots of all your wonderful things in a row sweetie.

Have a perfectly blessed day!!! :o)

'Love that cow!!!

Lois Evensen said...

Love those canes! And, regarding "Made in China" I have been disgusted to find "Made in China" on most of the merchandise sold in ports in Mexico. The merchandise isn't even made by artists in Mexico. Geesh.

genie said...

This is one great post on a rainy afternoon. Those canes are hilarious to me because I use one when I go out at night and when I am hiking. The snow is hilarious but for me I hunk I would go for the level. Thanks for some great shots. genie

Dianne said...

the baskets are so beautiful!!

Lynda said...

I love the spinners, too. It's neat the way they are designed to look like they are spinning as you said.
The canes are quite clever. I'll bet they sell a few of those unique designs.

Teresa said...

very cool pictures. love the spinners. i had one for a while but the kansas wind messed it up.

the influx of "made in china" stuff is really sad.

labbie1 said...

Love the canes! How interesting!

The wind spinners would be a ton of fun to watch in the breeze!

I think the masks are wrestling masks.

So, Mexico is now importing from China too? Wow!

EG CameraGirl said...

What a fun place to browse!

Donna B. said...

Those masks on the top picture? The pink one with the white around the eyes? I wanted to take my oldest daughter's picture for my smart phone and she was "not in the mood", so she dawned that very mask and I took her picture wearing it...still have it on my phone.

Always a joy to see what you are up to and where you are traveling. (hugs)