Followers

Pages

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Dressers Come with Family Memorabilia Part Two

A few years ago while visiting my sister and brother-in-law, she had mentioned that she was ready to pass on a dresser that she got from Jim's parents. She felt that she had had it long enough and wanted to share it with someone else in the family. I told her that I would love to have it, once I had my "someday" house. She agreed to keep it until that day came.

Well, that day came last year and I was able to get that dresser down here from Minnesota thanks to my son. You can see why I was so happy. Look how beautiful it is!



Here is a view of the top of the dresser:


On the left is Jim's parent's wedding photo, to right is my parent's wedding photo, and in the center is a mirror that belonged to my grandmother. I think they look perfect on this dresser.

But what I especially love is this sticker on the mirror: (blown up for you to read easily; actually it is the size of an address label).


My mother-in-law put these stickers on all her mirrors as a reminder to say a prayer every time one would look in the mirror. I can't help but smile and think of her every time I see this sticker, and of course, say the little prayer.

I also found one of her hairpins in the drawer. I wanted to take a photo of it, but it must have gotten shoved under the frame of the drawer. I know it's there, and that's all that matters. It warms my heart.

The problem with the dresser was the smell. It was so musty! It had been stored in Jim's parent's basement for years. It sat empty in my bedroom for a year just looking pretty. It was ridiculous. I had to do something.

These are the steps I took to get rid of the smell.

1. Wiped each drawer down with Clorox wipes. Although it removed some dirt, it did NOT remove the smell.

2. Lugged the drawers to my brother's house, put them out on his lawn in the bright sunshine for about 4 hours. That was supposed to remove the smell. It did not work.

3. Sprinkled a thick layer of baking soda in each drawer and let sit for about a week. It did not work.

4. Went on-line for more suggestions. Martha Stewart recommended to first try putting containers of vinegar in each drawer. Of course she had plastic containers with lids that she could poke holes in so as not to spill the vinegar. I didn't have any of that nonsense. I just used whatever I had available and poured a little bit of vinegar in each. I carefully shut the drawers so I didn't spill the liquid. It seemed to help SOMEWHAT, but the smell was still there.

5. Martha Stewart said that if the above step didn't help, THEN take a vinegar-soaked rag and WIPE OUT the drawers. I did this and IT WORKED!!!! SO - if you have any furniture with smells - I recommend you skip steps 1-4 and jump right on this step!

I aired out the drawers (our bedroom smelled like vinegar only for the day) and the next day I lined the drawers with lavender fragrant shelf paper. Aaaah!



Now the dresser is a beautiful AND useful piece of furniture!

Last year I bought a small round end table at an antique store and use it as a night stand. Unfortunately, it must have come from a home of a heavy smoker because it REEKED of smoke. I thought I'd try the vinegar-soaked rag trick and wiped it down and WHA-LAH!! VERY LITTLE to NO smoke smell! 

This girl is doing a happy dance!

11 comments:

Valerie said...

No wonder you're doing a happy dance, Pat....lol. I love the dresser and feel quite envious. My aunt had a similar one that I coveted and could have had when she died, but we didn't have space for it in our tiny bungalow. So sad.

Brian Miller said...

i did know that about the vinegar...i think my wife has done that....i like the old dressers with mirrors on them like that...we have a very old one as well...

Adam said...

never heard of the vinegar trick

Rae said...

Thank goodness for vinegar. It is a beautiful piece of furniture. I love antique pieces.

Mike said...

I love old family photos like those!

Snowflake said...

What beautiful pieces of furniture, and even better, the love that come with having a daily reminder of your family!! I will have to remember the vinegar trick. I would have suggested putting an open container of coffee grounds in the drawers to see if the coffee would absorb the odours. I used coffee in our car when it came in close contact with a skunk and was amazed at how well it worked!!

Gail said...

I love pieces that have stories.

Good work!

Anonymous said...

This is great. I am glad you were able to use it. I love the hostory and connections.

Liz A. said...

Vinegar. Okay. Will remember that.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Wow -- what a beautiful piece of furniture and I love the decorations on the top.

I'll remember the vinegar hint.

Furry Bottoms said...

What kind of vinegar did you use? I don't know but I'm finding that the smell of vi what itself to me is appalling. So I thought maybe it was the kind if vinegar u was using. There's a lot of mustiness in my house...