Followers

Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

We've come a long way, baby!

Happy Valentine's Day!




I spoke with my daughter yesterday and she said that she and our granddaughter were going to work on her Valentines to bring to school today. Lily is 3 years old and in preschool. Do you remember the excitement you felt writing out your Valentines, and wondering if you were going to receive one from that special "someone"? We'd decorate a shoe box and cut a slit in the lid. Then we'd put the box on our desks and walk around the room, stuffing a valentine in each box. Of course, I'd have a "special" one set aside for the boy I liked!

I found some vintage Valentines. Some are cute, some are questionable.

Under the "CUTE" category:





I did see ANOTHER Valentine along this same line, but it was a picture of "bloomers" hanging on the line, with the same words.  Somehow it seemed wrong!

For some reason, meat played a big part as the theme of Valentines from the 30's and 40's.



Gangsters and guns were also popular.




Take a look at these totally inappropriate Valentines! I'm sure they seemed fine back in the day!





Can we talk about the sexist ones?

If Jim told me this, I'd throw the shoe AT him!






Now the kid's Valentines are mostly TV characters like Dora, Sponge Bob, Hannah Montana, etc. I found some unusual, pushing-the-envelope, one-of-a-kind Valentines to show you how far we've come!

Here are four quite different ones.









Have a wonderful day!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my! some of those are pretty scary!

SquirrelQueen said...

Oh my goodness, Valentines have come a long way since I was a kid. Some of the newer ones are quite disturbing. But then the guns and suicide from the fifties weren't much better. I'll stick with the worm and those adorable little hamsters.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Valerie said...

Great collection of cards. Heehee I'll stick with the hamsters as well.

kisatrtle said...

Pat. Some of those are downright disturbing

Brian Miller said...

haha why does the baloney slicing valentine scare me a bit....

labbie1 said...

Can I take a guess at which one you like the best? The one sitting in the drink glass with ice? ;-D

Some of those are downright hilarious--in a really disturbing kind of way! hehe!

Happy VD to you too, kid!

Betty Manousos said...

oh my word!

a great fun post!

thanks for sharing.

happy valentine's day!

xx

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

OMG -- (too old to use that acronym, but nothing else works for some of those). I do remember decorating the shoe box etc.. didn't take much to create excitement back then!!

DesertHen said...

WOW! Some of those are just down right creepy!

labbie1 said...

PS--how are you feeling?

Maude Lynn said...

Some of these are hilarious!

Adam said...

funny cards

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Golly jeepers girl, I was havin' a great time strollin' down memory lane gazin' at those wonderful vintage Valentine's cards then things got weird and scary.

Shoot cupid...really??? I may have nightmares! Heeehehehe!

God bless ya and have a marvelous day.

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

What an amazing collection of Valentines! Thanks for posting these up.

Lynda said...

Quite a varied assortment you found but some really fun and funny ones. I was glad to hear about Lily. I have missed your updates on her - - -even though I know we see those more in the summertime.