Followers

Pages

Sunday, April 25, 2010

My ABC's - Astronauts, Butterflies/Burgers, and Chinese Food

We have had such a wonderful time here in Seattle this week. On Monday, Jim, Jeff, Carol and I went to the IMAX theater, to see Hubble 3D. The theater is located in the Pacific Science Center in Seattle.



We paid for our tickets, grabbed our 3D glasses, and headed into the theater. Jeff turned to me and said, "Where do you want to sit?"

I laughed and said, "Well, I have to sit in the exact center."

He said, "Me too." So he lead us to our appropriate seats.

I continued, "Yeah, Jim's used to me. He patiently waits while I count 1..2..3..4..etc. Isn't that funny that you and I are so much alike?"

Jeff said, ever the techno-geek (and I mean that in the nicest way) "Yeah, I have to sit in the center to get the optimum sound. Visually it's the best spot because it's straight on and it eliminates foreshortening."

Huh.

I just thought that I got headaches from eye strain if I didn't sit in the middle.

Here are two people with different IQ's, that reached the same conclusion.

Middle is best.

Back to the movie. It was spectacular. I was worried about seeing a 3D movie since I get nauseated very easily. But this movie was no problem. The views of the stars and nebulas are stunning and to see the work that our astronauts do with the Hubble is humbling.

After the movie we walked/ran through the bug exhibit (yuk!) so I could get to the butterfly exhibit.

And saw this beauty,



and that one,



and this one,



and can't forget this one!



And last but certainly not least, this one!



We spent some time in the Science Center, then headed out towards home. Our stomachs were growling and Jeff thought it was a great time to introduce us to Dick's Drive In.



They have been around a long time, are known for the cheap prices and good hamburgers and shakes. Hamburgers are the only thing on the menu - and ice cream. The cheeseburger was delish, as were the fries and chocolate shake.

We beat the rush hour traffic home. It was Jeff's birthday and he had his heart set on a particular restaurant for dinner, but they were closed on Mondays. So instead we went to the Mandarin Garden in Issaquah.

The men like hot things (thus why they are married to Carol and me!) So they ordered two hot dishes and Carol and I ordered a couple of dishes to share. She suggested walnut prawns. The prawns are deep fried, then gently mixed in a light mayonnaise dressing with honey in it. Now, you might be wrinkling up your nose at the mayonnaise part. Let me say this. Don't knock it till you tried it. It's a taste of heaven right there in your mouth. I am not kidding. The walnuts are just spread on the plate, so you can scoop up one in your mouth with the prawn. Yum! My mouth is watering just talking about them! There are many recipes available if you google "Honey Walnut Shrimp".

13 comments:

Betty Manousos said...

Awww, Pat, these beautiful butterflies put me in the BEST of moods. Awesome shots! Love them!
Thank you.
Hope you have a great Sunday, my dear friend!:o)
B xx

Betty Manousos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian Miller said...

pretty butterflies...middle would be better...and i like it hot too! smiles.

Anonymous said...

I always sit in the middle at a movie too...seriously;) the butterflies are breathtaking;)

Wendy said...

Wow Pat. How do you do it?! One great post after another after another.
Can't you ever post a crappy one?!
;-)
Seattle sounds great.
You make me want to go there.
I was telling my 19 yo daughter about it the other day.
She just said "Yuck!" I'm going to show her your pictures, and i think she'll change her mind.

=-)

Bossy Betty said...

Great butterfly pictures! Honey Walnut recipes I can handle, but not on prawns, sorry! As always, I enjoyed hearing about your adventures!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Now I am hungry! The butterflies are spectacular. I have managed to attract some to my garden in past years and hope to see more this year.

Unknown said...

I am the same way about sitting in the middle of the theater. If i sit anywhere else I get really cranky which is why I go to the movies by myself. Well that and the fact that I need to be there a hundred hours early. I'm going to end up alone aren't I?

for a different kind of girl said...

I absolutely must sit in the middle of a theater. Of course, this needs fights madly with my other desire to sit at the end of the row for any quick get-a-ways that need to be made!

I think that movie is showing at our science center IMAX. Definitely need to check into it, though, I think.

Lynda said...

We have a butterfly atrium in our aquarium in Chattanooga. I love visiting it.
Glad you liked your prawns. It helps to like seafood!

Teresa said...

beautiful pictures! love the butterflies and the shrimp sounds divine!

as far as seating goes, I have to sit on the end. I can't stand the thought of being "trapped" in row and not able to get out. so, the end it is...

Jientje said...

Looks like a wonderful day. The walnut honey shrimps sound delicious! Lovely pictures of the butterflies!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

http://itistimetothinkformyself.blogspot.com/2010/04/awards-are-given-to-jingle-by-kathy.html

lovely butterflies,
Happy Tuesday!