Followers

Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Did you know.....

that there is more than one use for dryer sheets? Here are some suggestions, according to Real Simple magazine.

The most obvious is using the sheets to make things smell nice.

Use as a drawer sachet:

photo credit James Baigrie

Gym bag refresher

Photo credit: James Wojcik

old book deodorizer

Photo credit: James Baigrie

and stinky shoes

Photo credit: Rick Lew
I was surprised to learn that you can used a dryer sheet to clean off soap scum! Just sprinkle a few drops of water on a used fabric softener sheet and start scrubbing! (I am definitely going to try this one!)

Photo credit: Antonis Achilleos
Clean your iron

Does your iron have gunk on it? Just turn the setting to low, and rub the iron on the dryer sheet until all the residue disappears. Wah-lah!

Photo credit: Sang An
Dryer sheet as a thread de-tangler? It's true! To prevent the thread from tangling up, just run the thread and needle through a sheet before you begin sewing.

Photo credit: Antonis Achilleos
I hope these tips will help you.

9 comments:

SquirrelQueen said...

I've tried them on the shower doors to remove soap scum and it works. It takes a lot of scrubbing but it does take the scum off.

Valerie said...

Definitely going to try that in the shower, Pat. Thanks for the tips.

Betty Manousos said...

great tips pat!
i'm definitely trying that in the shower.

happy sunday!

Brian Miller said...

huh that is pretty cool on the soap scum...did not know that one...will share that one with t...

Kathy's Klothesline said...

At first I thought the drawer was yours and how nice you stack your clothes ..... then I saw the photo credit. It still makes me feel like I should be in my room refolding my unmentionables into neat stacks!
I have tried the dryer sheet for soap scum removal and it does work, but shower poofs work better! Whenever I purchase a new one for myself, I use the old one to scrub the bathroom. Makes the task go faster. They are great tub scrubbers, too.
I will have to try that needle and thread idea. Lots of my kampers use moth balls in an effort to keep the mice away and I have read somewhere that dryer sheets will do that as well. Unless, of course, the mice are good housekeepers, then it will encourage them to take up residence.

Monkey said...

the next time I hit the gym the guys in the locker room will be grateful to ya :)

Unknown said...

I've also heard that you can stick a couple in your back pocket and shirt pocket and they will serve as an insect repellent when your outside picnicing of gardening. (I've never tried it, so I can't swear to it!)

Lynda said...

I definitely like the needle and thread idea. It aggravates me when the thread twists.

genie said...

What a great post. I love the sewing thread and iron ones. I will definitely give them a try. I use bees wax for my thread and steel wool for the iron. Your suggestions are much more appealing. genie